Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured that their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
The Donor Bill of Rights was created by the American Association of Fund Raising Counsel (AAFRC), Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE).
BEAMING Inc. respects the privacy of its donors and has put in place the following policy to honor these rights.
Beaming Inc. collects and maintains the following types of donor information when it is voluntarily provided to us:
Contact information such as name, address, telephone number and e-
Information on events attended, publications received and requests for program information.
Information provided by the donor in the form of comments and suggestions.
This confidential information is kept on file for IRS purposes. It is also used to analyze overall giving patterns in order to make more accurate budget projections, as well as to understand donors’ interests in our mission and to update them on the organization’s plans and activities. This information is shared with staff, board members, volunteers and consultants only on a confidential and need-
BEAMING Inc. does not maintain credit card information after entering a transaction. All credit card documents are destroyed.
BEAMING Inc. does not sell, rent, trade or share its donor list with any other organization, nor does it send out mailings on behalf of other organizations.
Discontinuing Contact Upon Request
It is the policy of BEAMING Inc. to communicate with donors according to their expressed preferences whenever possible. BEAMING Inc. will discontinue or change the method used to contact any person upon that person’s oral or written request directed to the organization.
Beaming Inc. shall maintain a record of all requests by persons who indicate that they do not wish to be contacted by or on behalf of the organization.
This policy does not prohibit contact by an individual or group voluntarily soliciting on behalf of BEAMING Inc., even if the person being contacted has requested to be placed on the “do not contact list.”
Upon a person’s (or a person’s authorized representative’s) request that BEAMING Inc. discontinue further contacts, the person’s name and address will be promptly modified in the donor database to ensure that no further contact is made.
BEAMING Inc. will maintain an electronic record of all requests for discontinuance of contacts, effective with the adoption of this policy by BEAMING Inc.’s Board of Directors. Oral requests will be noted in writing by the staff of BEAMING Inc. and then permanently recorded in the electronic donor database. The records of persons who have made such a request will be maintained to the extent necessary for legal or liability purposes.